At KFC, we’re passionate about serving our customers freshly prepared, great tasting food, delivered to the highest safety and quality standards; while offering choice, transparency and nutritional improvements.
- In May 2012 KFC Australia replaced sustainably sourced palm oil used to cook our products in store with a high oleic Canola oil in all restaurants across Australia.
- In 2013 launched a permanent grilled range with a grilled kids meal option.
- In 2014 actively encouraged customers to “ask for unsalted chips” in support of World Salt Awareness Week becoming the first QSR to proactively encourage customers to reduce their salt intake in-store.
- In 2010 achieved an average 15% reduction in sodium across core chicken menu items and a 21% reduction in seasoned chip salt.
- In 2010 removed skin from Zinger fillets, reducing total fat content by approximately one third.
- In 2011 reduced sodium in burger buns by 30% and dinner rolls by 37%.
- In 2012 introduced a salad to our menu.
- In 2014 removed palm oil derivatives from chips, popcorn and nuggets.
- In 2014 -2015 undertook projects for further sodium reductions across various menu items including tortillas, bacon and chicken products.
In 2012, we were one of the first quick service restaurant systems in Australia to introduce kilojoules on menu boards in all restaurants nationally, despite this not being required by law in every State.
- KFC Australia opened its kitchens in 2014 to the public and have now run 4 days over the past 2 years. Open Kitchen Days have attracted a huge level of participation with the public, across 250 of our stores nationwide who hosted events. Through the Open Kitchen Day, we’ve been able to show the public first-hand the skill, quality and freshness that goes into our products.
- Since 2002, we have provided allergen information for consumers to make informed choices.
- Since 2008, we have provided detailed nutrition and allergen information on our website.
- In 2013 we launched Nutrition Calculator along with Allergen Information on our website.
Food Safety and Quality
- Since 2010, KFC Australia has been one of the only quick service restaurant food retailers with a HACCP certified program.
- We strive to source local produce, where possible. Around 85% of our ingredients are sourced from within Australia.
- All of our core ingredient, chicken, is sourced locally and across our system at least 99% of our chicken on the bone, chicken fillets and strips are delivered fresh to store, not frozen.
- We have a proud of history of working with Australian farmers and suppliers across the spectrum of our menu, with our relationship with Inghams extending back to our very first KFC store in Guildford NSW in 1969.
- Each week, we deliver around 32 tonnes of lettuce, 16 tonnes of tomatoes, 70 tonnes of fresh burger buns and 16 tonnes of fresh dinner rolls to our restaurants – all locally sourced and produced here in Australia.